EJM Designs Limited Blog

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Social Media Tuesday: Ping.fm

No, it's not a radio station or a ping-pong website, or a ping-pong website that works as a radio station that adjusts on how you play the game and your aggregate score.

Ping.fm went public a little over a year ago and hadn't been of much interest right away for me. What is it? It's a simple way to organize your updates if you just need to blast something out.

For example, I signed up for Ping.fm and linked my (deep breath) Twitter, Facebook, EJM Designs Facebook Page, MySpace, TBN Ning, Google Talk, LinkedIn, FriendFeed, Plaxo, and Yahoo status.

I probably hit my Twitter 2-5 times a day, Facebook and LinkedIn every day or two, and ...wait. I still have a MySpace? Exactly. As a part of so many social networks, I don't really have the time to dig into every single site and update each status. And because stagnancy and silence is the death rattle of social media credibility, Ping.fm rocks out to that purpose. I'll still personalize my Twitter and Facebook and LinkedIn more often, but to keep the rest fresh, I love this for a simple solution every couple days or so, or if something that important needs to be passed on.

The best part? Simple. Email, password, name if you choose. The rest is just setting up logins. One post and BLAMMO - everyone knows your business.

Let me know if you've had any experience with Ping.fm and if you have if it's been a positive or negative one.


Bonus Trivia: the top-level domain name ".fm" is for the Federated States of Micronesia. Awesome!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting that we're able to use websites with .fm, .ly, .cm, .me, etc. now, and I'm sure some money probably has been exchanged with, for example, the Federated States of Micronesia, to let organizations use these TLDs.

    As far as syncing my social media, I'm not completely sold that it's my best strategy. I used to, for example, sync my Twitter account and my Facebook account. But I update my Twitter account very often, and I started getting some complaints from people on Facebook. So, I disconnected that.

    Now we can sync our Twitter to our LinkedIn and vice versa. I think, for me, occasionally syncing is a good thing. I currently use Ping.fm to sync updates from Tweetie (iPhone app) to MySpace and some other social networking sites I don't visit that often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree: syncing is not always the optimal methodology. I use ping.fm once every day or two to keep stuff fresh on the sites I don't visit too often directly, like MySpace. Balance of the types of updates for each platform is still a dance I'm figuring out. Adding value is keeping those followers happy :)

    ReplyDelete